podcast • 2MIN READ
How a Trained Therapist Diagnoses Healthy Dev Teams w/ Engineer & Entrepreneur, Kelly Vaughn
Not only is Kelly Vaughn one of the pioneers in building thought-leadership content for the developer community, she’s one of the rare programmers who comes to the craft with the background of a trained therapist.
From knowing what content devs need to grow to being able to recognize the cognitive-behavioral impacts of the developer experience, Kelly Vaughn is truly one of our most unique guests to date.
In our conversation, Kelly leveraged her background as a therapist to explore what dev orgs should be doing to recognize developers as unique human beings, with their own feelings, motivations and biases.
A discipline-crossing discussion, this pod is invaluable if you’re thinking about what a healthy dev team should look like as well as how to build one.
Episode Highlights Include:
- (1:09) Ladybug podcast
- (4:44) Kelly's degree in clinical social work
- (12:37) What not to share on social media
- (19:01) Why burnout is not a "24 hour flu"
- (22:23) Bringing more empathy into 1:1s
- (23:50-31:27) Dealing with Imposter Syndrome, negative self-talk & toxic positivity
- (41:41) Dangers of comparing yourself to others
- (44:51) Importance of building your network as an entrepreneur
Engineering Insights before anyone else....
The Weekly Interruption is a newsletter designed for engineering leaders, by engineering leaders. We get it. You're busy. So are we. That's why our newsletter is light, informative and oftentimes irreverent. No BS or fluff. Each week we deliver actionable advice to help make you - whether you're a CTO, VP of Engineering, team lead or IC - a better leader.