podcast • 1MIN READ
Defining the Role of Staff Engineer
On this week’s episode of Dev Interrupted we’re tackling one of the most ambiguous and subjective roles in the software engineering career path: the Staff Engineer.
Many companies don’t even have this role, and the ones that do have a hard time defining exactly what it means. Will Larson, the CTO of Calm, and author of the new book, Staff Engineer: Leadership Beyond the Management Track, joins us to share his research on what a staff engineer actually is and whether or not companies need one.
Episode Highlights include:
- The different archetypes of the Staff Engineer role
- Whether or not a purely technical senior role exists
- The differences between management and leadership
- Strategies for becoming a Staff Engineer
- How to decide if your organization needs a Staff Engineer role
Join the Dev Interrupted Server
With over 2000 members, the Dev Interrupted Discord Community is the best place for Engineering Leaders to engage in daily conversation. No sales people allowed. Join the community >>
Not yet available for this podcast.